By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.
Chinese artist and activist Ai Weiwei has written an opinion piece for the Wall Street Journal voicing strong support for Google’s plan to stop censoring results on its China-based search engine. Ai also said two of his Gmail accounts were hijacked late last year.
Google last month cited cyberattacks on Gmail, partly aimed at accessing the accounts of Chinese human rights activists, as one reason that it plans to stop censoring search results on Google.cn, even if that means being forced out of the country.
“It is encouraging for the Chinese people to see that a leading Internet company recognizes that censorship is a violation of basic human rights and values,” Ai wrote. “To stand up and speak out in a society in which those values are under constant attack requires courage and deserves moral support.”
Results are still being censored on Google’s China search engine and the company has said it is in talks with the Chinese government.
China’s state-run Xinhua news agency late Tuesday also issued the country’s latest denial of any government involvement in cyberattacks.