1. Pinback, Blue Screen Life The year’s most enigmatic, impeccable, swoonily beautiful songs.
2. Weezer, The Green Album America’s most popular great band brings rock formalism to the masses. Thirty perfect minutes.
4. Daft Punk, Discovery Intricate, vapid, irresistible, brainy French electro-pop piffle.
5. Mouse on Mars, Idiology Electronic music’s creative recession continued this year with a few eccentric exceptions. This was the wackiest.
7. Sigur Rós, Ágaetis Byrjun Weirdly charismatic, progressive rock–inflected borderline sonic tedium.
8. DJ Screw & the Screwed-up Click, Soldiers United for Cash Posthumous CD of erratic slo-mo hip-hop celebrating the effects of cough syrup by a
Artforum print subscribers have full access to this article. If you are a subscriber, sign in below.
Not registered for artforum.com?
SUBSCRIBE NOW for only $50 a year—65% off the newsstand price—and get the print magazine plus full online access to this issue and our archive.*
* This rate applies to U.S. domestic subscriptions.