amsterdam

“Kiosk7: OudWestKiosk”

Smart Project Space

Russian émigré architect Berthold Lubetkin (1901–1990), who opened his London practice in the early ’30s, helped endow British architecture with Constructivist rigor. But as time went on his designs started to look dated to proponents of postmodern architecture, and some of his buildings were later demolished. In 2005 the artist collective known as Gavin Wade mit Simon & Tom Bloor appropriated two of Lubetkin’s abandoned structures, known as Kiosk 1 & 2 (originally used to sell sweets and ice cream), designed by the architect and his Tecton Group in 1937 for the Dudley Zoological Gardens near Birmingham. As the Bloors point out in the publication 34: What Are Senses?, Lubetkin’s architectural settings for the zoo suggest a circus more than a natural habitat. The artists turned the kiosks into temporary exhibition spaces/meeting rooms, a “kind of philosophical system,” as they stated in

Sign-in to keep reading

Artforum print subscribers have full access to this article. If you are a subscriber, sign in below.

Not registered for artforum.com? Register here.

SUBSCRIBE NOW for only $50 a year—65% off the newsstand price—and get the print magazine plus full online access to this issue and our archive.*

Order the PRINT EDITION of the March 2008 issue for $17 or the ONLINE EDITION for $5.99.

* This rate applies to U.S. domestic subscriptions.